Job Hunting Tips: Be Proactive And Get a Job in The Food Industry

In this article, we’ll share important tips for making your job search in the food and beverage industry successful.

Job search anxiety is a real thing. 73 percent of job seekers are stressed as a result of their job hunt, according to an INC survey. Your goal is to be in the remaining 27%!

There are 7,600 food processing businesses in Canada, so there are plenty of job options for you. (Food Processing Skills Canada). Careful planning, dedication, and commitment are essential if you want to reduce job search stress and improve your chances of landing a position.

In this article, we’ll share important tips for making your job search easier.

Create a Target List of Companies

If right now you are sending out tons of resumes to different companies, you should definitely change your strategy. Firstly, your resume will not be tailored to a specific job, and it might go unnoticed by a recruiter.

Secondly, even if you land a job, you may discover later that you are not a good fit for the company, then it’s back to job hunting…Creating a target list of companies will help you avoid these problems! Start by choosing companies that interest you, then move on to learning more about them and looking for job openings. Once you have found the companies you like most, tailor your resume for the job (and company) you want. Follow the step-by-step instructions in this article from The Balance Careers to make a target list of companies.

400+ Resume Action Words (Plus 100 Power Verbs Recruiters Love to See)

Recruiters usually spend six seconds looking at a candidate’s resume. Six seconds! Speed matters for those who look through hundreds on resumes daily.

Using power words will improve the readability of your resume, leave a lasting impression on the recruiter, and keep a recruiter’s attention on your resume for longer than six seconds. For example, Jobscan recommends using words like “Teamed up” and “Oversaw” instead of “Participated” and “Managed”. Go to the Jobscan website to download a list of more than 400 resume action words.

10 Tips to Help You Network Like a Pro

You’ve probably heard that networking is important in the job search process. Why? Networking gives you the opportunity to learn more about the industry, connect with successful people in your field, and gain insight from those who have worked in the business for a long time. According to TopResume, 60% of jobs are found through networking – not online.

Watch Emilie Aries, the founder and CEO of Bossed Up, give advice on how to network effectively online. Learn how to research who you should contact, craft a professional email, and tell your job search story.

What to Say When Reaching Out To a Hiring Manager Online

For job seekers, moving to an online setting has opened up a whole world of opportunities. After creating a target list of companies and finding contacts, you should draft an email to a hiring manager.

Read this article from CareersInFood to learn what to include in an email when approaching a recruiter and what to do if you can’t find the hiring manager.  Also, to stay organized, make a spreadsheet with the names of the people you’ve contacted.

Careful planning and preparation for the job hunt will help you get the role you want in the food industry. Whether you plan to become a brewmaster, food processing supervisor, or even a machine operator, use these tips to get your foot in the door.

Ready to land a job in the food and beverage processing industry?

Sign up for a FREE CareersNOW! Jobseeker account!

As a CareersNOW! Jobseeker, you’ll have access to free Job Ready skills trainingonline job fairsmentorship sessions, and other resources to learn more about the exciting opportunities in Ontario’s food and beverage processing sector.

Other Posts About Jobs That Might Interest You

Sign up to learn more about the amazing opportunities available through CareersNOW!